Wednesday, October 8, 2008

More from Texas...I was there a whole week!!

So things really are bigger in Texas, my hair, the freeways, their portion sizes. Going to Texas was such a huge learning experience, I can't even tell you. I love it when I get to learn new things. I love being around different people, with different beliefs with beautiful accents. I got to talk to this guy on the airplane for about two and a half hours on the flight home. We were flying standby ( which by the way wasn't an issue getting on this time!!) and right before I got on the plane, this lady changed my seat number. I didn't think anything of it until I started talking to the guy which is pretty dang close to me. ( I forgot how little breathing room you have on this airplane). Who knows, maybe that is why he begun to tell me all that he did. This guy was in his 50s, and we got to talking about the church right away. He said that this seat was supposed to be empty, and I told him that I knew I was supposed to sit there and basicly bear my testimony to him. This is usually a hard thing for me, I think of the times before that I have had this same opportunity and I guess that this time was just different because he wasn't a client, and I wasn't going to be seeing him again. He told me what he thought he knew about the church, and what an empty life that he had. He asked if I was brought up in the church? and why I haven't ever seeked out any other churches. I just continued without any hesitation.. I don't need to and I don't want to. I know that I have the true gospel in my life. I never thought about how it would be not growing up in the church, until I heard him question the simplest things that I take for granted that I have been taught all along. I could tell that he believed me and he could see that I was truly happy because of the church. I asked him why he would spend his whole life, (that was pretty miserable) trying to prove things wrong, and asked him why he wouldn't for one time just try believing without seeing. He was an engineer from Boston. I think that would classify him in the missionary world as pretty tough. He had to disect something tangible and by that time he had no faith in a Heavanly Father or a God. I asked him to do three things, ( I know you are thinking that I am being pushy, but he let me, and he was telling me of the times he tried to commit suicide.) 1) Go to the temple and listen to a couple of videos 2) go to moron.org and listen to some of the questions that are answered and 3) Listen to conference. As I listened to conference I was thinking of this guy, and if he was watching what he would be thinking. Conference made me so happy. I know he would of felt the spirit if he would just listen. I loved that there were so many speakers talking about being hopeful and how having despair in your life really is a downward spiral. I totally believe this and have witnessed it in my life. Hope, Charity and Love can bring happiness to all of us. I'm not sure that this guy knew how much he helped me out, by not being afraid to tell someone how I do feel. I am so thankful that I was brought up with the gospel in my life and I hope that I don't ever take that for granted. It was easy to see how our Heavanly Father must see us. Sometimes we are so stubborn and make things so much more difficult than they are, and we are way harder on our selves than we need to be., we don't need to judge ourselves or others. I know that my heavanly father loves me and wants me to be happy, just like I was trying my hardest to tell this man that I didn't know. He knows us, and knows how hard things are and he is trying to help us to see things like they really are. I love the church and am so thankful for everything just the way that it is. Iknow I will be stronger because of it.

2 comments:

fantastic6 said...

inspiring story Jod. I don't seem to have the guts to be as assertive. That man was truly lucky to have sat by you that day. I am sure his life has been blessed.

Colette said...

Jodi- Thats an amazing story. What a neat experience. I'm sure your testimony will have a lasting effect on that man. Colette