Monday, December 22, 2008

{To Gain Wisdom, write down what you learn...}




I seriously loved the retreat. I will have to tell you everything that I learned over many posts...Ya know I am going to start with my favorite thing first...Do you know the difference between Praise and Encouragement? This just really hit me in the head like a ton of bricks. So these two things are very similar, but they can either touch the heart, or keep someone wondering what you really feel about them. Praise is something generic, automatic, all about the person giving the complement. and Encouragement is a complement that is specific, personal, descriptive, thoughtful. So here is my attempt to explain...

1} I am so glad you did it like I told you to.

{This one is all about the person giving the complement, could be said to anyone, doesn't give the person any courage.} Praise

2} You are so imaginative and thoughtful of others.

{This one you can tell you are really focusing on the person you are giving the complement to. You are also making me want to do this again because you are being specific and giving me the courage to be thoughtful. I am not wondering what the person is thinking of me. with Praise you do. Encouragement.

This is actually pretty dang hard. I think of it especially with my kids. I want them to know how I feel about them instead of waiting for praise since I usually do it everyday. I want them to also start doing this with their friends. You should try it. It is amazing when someone gives you encouragement too! It really will just hit the heart and you will know then what I am talking about.

No comments: