Friday, November 7, 2008

I am Thankful for Letters



Since I haven't lived by home in about 10 Years, It has really made me thankful for letters.


My mom is especially good at this. I can always bet that if I am having a bad day, that I can count on my mom to send me a beautiful letter in the mail. I think that there must be someone she pays to tell her when I am going to have a bad day because it never fails. I am amazed that she spends the time and effort to make it happen, she will even do it if I just saw her the day before. This helps me so much.


Of course emails are nice, text messaging, a phone call. But for some reason this one is on top of my list. I love receiving them and sometimes if I really need some encouragement, I can read an old one.


Christmas cards also. I would rather get Christmas cards everyday in the mail instead of gifts under the tree.


We were at a family reunion this past summer and there hadn't been a Hatfield Reunion In like 30 years. To make a long story short....our cousin Radene found this letter that had been written in 1835. This woman's name was Rhoda and Had written this letter that was a huge missing link to the Hatfield geneology. We weren't even sure if our last name really was supposed to be Hatfield or not. In this sweet, old, fragile, hand written letter, she wrote of her trials that she had gone through, the explanation of marriages and who the children belonged to. She wrote that she worked for this man named Joseph Smith and about her conversion to the church. We figured she was probably one of the first baptized in our family. That was testimony enough for me to see the importance of writing things down, and to someone, like a letter. We all thought that this letter had been written just for us.

2 comments:

Julie said...

I love your "thankful" posts! It really is the little things that matter!

ann said...

I have been meaning to comment, I love your thankful posts! It's so great when you really stop and think about all the things you love. It makes you realize how blessed you are!!